The recipe for this midcentury classic, which combines tequila, creme de cassis, lime juice, and ginger beer, first appeared in “Trader Vic’s Book of Food and Drink,” published in 1946. It’s stunning either mixed or layered, giving you free rein to create it however you prefer.
- 1 1/2 ounces reposado tequila
- 1/2 ounce creme de cassis
- 1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 ounces ginger beer
- Garnish: lime wedge
How to make El diablo cocktail
- Add the tequila, creme de cassis and lime juice into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
- Strain into a Collins glass over fresh ice and top with the ginger beer.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.